From the files of The Mallory Surname DNA Study
Roger Mallory (1637-abt. 1694) also known as "Captain Roger Mallory" was among the first generation of Mallory ancestors to immigrate to Colonial Virginia.
Early Life in Cheshire
At that time, Northenden, also called Northen, was a
village located in the rural northern part of Cheshire in
England's Northwest Region . The region extends from Scotland in the
north to the Midlands in the south and from the Irish Sea on the west to the
Pennines Mountain range on the east. In 1931, the Northenden
Parish was a suburb of region's largest city, Manchester and officially became part
of its Wythenshawe
District. Boundary reforms of 1974 removed the Northenden area from
Cheshire along with other areas to the north from Lancashire to form the Metropolitan County
of Greater Manchester. The civic Ward and modern Northenden Parish can be described as the triangle between the
M60, the M56 and the A5013 Princess Parkway, where the three meet along the
south side the River Mersey. The Rectory's location was at the
site now occupied by the Anglican Parish Church of St. Wifrid on Ford Lane. It is near a crossing
place where there was no bridge over the Mersey between Sale
and Stockport until 1745. Roger Mallory's five (5) known siblings were
probably born in Cheshire: Mary Mallory was born about 1628.
Roger Mallory was probably the son of Rev. Thomas Mallory's first wife, Jane "unknown". Jane's surname may have been "Holland". Roger Mallory was born sometime after 1632, when Rev. Thomas Mallory left Oxford. Rev. Thomas Mallory then lived two years at Easington in Oxfordshire. On 15 February 1634, Rev. Thomas Mallory was first instituted to the rectory of Northenden (1) and then after some difficulty re-presented there by the King in August 1635. Various dates, including 1637 are written for Roger Mallory's year of birth. Roger Mallory's place of birth is alternately given as Brindle or Northenden where he spent his childhood during the First and Second English Civil Wars under the reign of King Charles I .
Francis Mallory was born after 1628.
John Mallory was born about 1634.
Thomas Mallory was born about 1635.
Jane Mallory was born in 1636.
At that time, Northenden, also called Northen, was a village located in the rural northern part of Cheshire in England's Northwest Region . The region extends from Scotland in the north to the Midlands in the south and from the Irish Sea on the west to the Pennines Mountain range on the east. In 1931, the Northenden Parish was a suburb of region's largest city, Manchester and officially became part of its Wythenshawe District. Boundary reforms of 1974 removed the Northenden area from Cheshire along with other areas to the north from Lancashire to form the Metropolitan County of Greater Manchester. The civic Ward and modern Northenden Parish can be described as the triangle between the M60, the M56 and the A5013 Princess Parkway, where the three meet along the south side the River Mersey. The Rectory's location was at the site now occupied by the Anglican Parish Church of St. Wifrid on Ford Lane. It is near a crossing place where there was no bridge over the Mersey between Sale and Stockport until 1745.
Roger Mallory's five (5) known siblings were probably born in Cheshire:
Mary Mallory was born about 1628.
Roger Mallory's two (2) half sisters were:
Susannah Mallory was born after 1640.
Elizabeth Mallory was born after 1640.
Parlimentarian troops occupied the Rectory and sacked the village during the First English Civil War . Roger Mallory's father joined other Loyalists in support of the King that came under seige in the fortified house, Wythenshawe Hall . Rev. Thomas Mallory was removed as Rector and probably imprisoned with other Loyalists after the seige ended 25 Feb 1644. His Rectory and glebe lands were "sequestered" by the Parlimentarians. Roger Mallory and his siblings were allowed to remain at the Rectory during Rev. Thomas Mallory's absence. (4) Roger Mallory's brother, Francis Mallory identified as "Franŕces" had been bequeathed 20 guineas by Bishop William Forster who died in 1635. A small sum was given to Mrs. Mary Mallory to buy provisions for the "Scotch Army". (5) In 1644, Henry Dunster became Rector and in 1645 she retired to the small cottage that was part of the glebe lands. The Church allowed her to draw a fifth of her husband's stipend and farm part of the glebe lands." (6) It is possible Roger Mallory lived there with his step-mother and siblings until he left England to live in America.
Roger Mallory's uncle, Rev. Philip Mallory married Catherine Batte. His wife's given name was also spelled "Katherine". In 1644, Philip Mallory was ejected from Norton in Stockton Parish, Durham, England. Like many Royalists, Rev. Philip Mallory fled to Virginia. Ministers were in short supply and quickly found a new position there. In 1644, Rev. Phillip Mallory was curate at Elizabeth City Parish Church in what is today the Independent Ciry of Hampton, Virginia. At the time, the area was called Elizabeth City County . Prior to 1643, Elizabeth City County was called " Elizabeth River " and was one the eight original Shires formed in 1634. He also served Lynhaven Parish which was formed in 1643 in the Lower Norfolk County that became Princess Anne County, Virginia in 1691.
Roger Mallory's aunt was Katherine Mallory, also called "Martha" who married in 1624 the Loyalist Infantry Captain, John Batte of Oakwell Hall. She died on 9 February 1643/44 in Yorkshire. In June 1646, John Batte first sailed with most of his family to Virginia Colony. He returned to London and persuaded Sir Thomas Danby and others to invest in a "commercial trading adventure" to Virginia. After the Second English Civil War, King Charles I was executed in London on 30 January 1649. By September 1653, John Batte was referred to as being "dead beyond the seas". Danby’s heirs had engaged Rev. Philip Mallory to pursue their interests in the Colony. On 21 September 1653, Rev. Philip Mallory signed an affidavit that he had received what he could of the estate of John Batte in the Colony of Virginia. He stated “therefore to the utmost of my power discharge, release, acquit William Batte, son and heir of Gent. John Batte of all debts, dues, accounts or whatever that may be claimed by Sir Thomas Danby Kt.” (10)
In 1648, Roger Mallory's sister, Mary Mallory married at Mobberly in Cheshire, England Edward Whirley.
A roadside historical marker in West Point, King William County, Virginia:
|"Shortly after paramount chief Opechancanough’s 1644 attacks on English settlers in response to the settlers’ encroachment on Indian lands, he was captured and put to death at Jamestown. His successor Necotowance signed a treaty, ratified by the Grand Assembly in October 1646, acknowledging the Indians’ subjection to the English Crown and agreeing to pay a yearly tribute. A provision of the treaty that allowed the Indians sole use of the land north of the York River was broken later in the same Assembly session, when another law was passed that opened the treaty land to English claims."|
The border created by the Treaty of 1646 to segregate the English Colonists from the Natives failed to contain settlement to the immediate area surrounding Jamestown. By 1652, new counties were being formed on former Indian lands beyond the frontier. That year, Oliver Cromwell sent a force to remove and replace Berkeley with Richard Bennett.
06 December 1653, Oliver Cromwell became Lord Protector of England, Scotland and Ireland.
After 1653, Roger Mallory sailed from England with his brother, Thomas Mallory and party.
In 1654, New Kent County was formed from York County , Virginia. New Kent overlapped the region called Pamunkey Neck, located between the Mattaponi River on the northeast and the Pamunkey River on the southwest. The Pamunkey Neck includes what is today, all of King William County , the southern half of Caroline County , and the southernmost portion of Spotsylvania County . It had been set off as a reserve by the Treaty of 1623 between the Governor of Virginia and the King of the Pamunkey Indians. The Pamunkeys alternately allied with the English and opposed their settlement in various battles.
30 March 1655, Edward Digges became Colonial Governor of Virginia.
24 Nov 1655, Oliver Cromwell banned Anglicans.
In 1656, The Pamunkey King, Totopottomoy, who allied with English under Colonel Edward Hill against invading Shackoconian Indians, was killed in a battle at the falls of the James River near present day Richmond. His widow, Cockacoeske became the Queen of the Pamunkey Tribe and led her people asWeroansqua for 30 years.
In Hening's Statutes is the following Act of 1656:
the encouragement of the ministers in the
country, and that they may be the better enabled to attend both public commands and their private cures, It is ordered, that from henceforth each minister, in his owne person, with six other servants of his family,shall be free from publique levies, Allwaies provided they be examined by Mr. Philip Mallory and Mr. John Green, and they do
certify their abilities to the Governour and Councill, who arc to proceed according to their judgement."
the encouragement of the ministers in the
Marriage and Children
Elizabeth Mallory was born about 1655.
John Mallory was born about 1655.
William Mallory was born about 1666.
Roger Mallory was born about 1667.
Charles Mallory was born in 1669.
Jane Mallory was born about 1673.
Thomas Mallory was born about 1674.
Roger Mallory's brother, Thomas Mallory married in Virginia Colony, Mary "unknown", widow of Robert Longman and settled in Charles City County. ,
The Restoration and
In 1657, Rev.
Philip Mallory was listed among the Clergy at the first church in
By 1658 the
Assembly had received from several Indian tribes so many complaints of being
deprived of their land, either by force or fraud, that measures were again
adopted to protect the natives in their rights. The Assembly forbade further
grants of lands to any Englishmen whatsoever until the Indians had been allotted
a proportion of fifty acres for each bowman. The land for each Indian town was
to lie together and to include all waste and unfenced land for the purpose of
hunting. No member of the colony was allowed to occupy lands claimed by the
natives without consent from the Governor and Council or from the commissioners
of the territory where the settlement was intended. To decrease the chances for
cheating the Indians, all sales were to be consummated at quarter courts where
unfair purchases could be prevented.
By 1656, Roger Mallory's uncle Rev. Philip Mallory was established as a minister in York County, Virginia. He was appointed with Mr. Green to examine all ministerial candidates for parishes. In 1656, Samuel Mathews became Royal Governor of Virginia, succeeding Edward Digges who sailed to England to meet with English merchants about the price of tobacco and petition Cromwell on behalf of the Colony's rights. By act of Assembly March 1656, an Indian King was to be given a cow in exchangefor every eight wolf heads, "This will be a step to civilizing them and to making them Christians." (11)
In 1657, Rev. Philip Mallory was listed among the Clergy at the first church in Lynhaven Parish.
By 1658 the Assembly had received from several Indian tribes so many complaints of being deprived of their land, either by force or fraud, that measures were again adopted to protect the natives in their rights. The Assembly forbade further grants of lands to any Englishmen whatsoever until the Indians had been allotted a proportion of fifty acres for each bowman. The land for each Indian town was to lie together and to include all waste and unfenced land for the purpose of hunting. No member of the colony was allowed to occupy lands claimed by the natives without consent from the Governor and Council or from the commissioners of the territory where the settlement was intended. To decrease the chances for cheating the Indians, all sales were to be consummated at quarter courts where unfair purchases could be prevented.
05 May 1658 Roger Mallory was a witness at York County court from 'Kiquotan', now Hampton.
03 September 1658, Oliver Cromwell died. His son, Richard Cromwell assumed the position of Lord Protector.
In 1659, Samuel Mathews died. The Colonial government encouraged trade with neighboring Indians for skins. Sale of firearms and powder was made legal. (12)
25 May 1659, Richard Cromwell resigned his position as Lord Protector.
20 October 1659, Rev. Philip Mallory produced a letter concerning Quakers in the York County, Virginia Court. (13)
In March 1659-60 Rev. Philip Mallory was paid two thousand pounds of tobacco for officiating at the two last Assemblies, and was desired to preach at the next Assembly.It was not until 1660 that the Chickahominy Nation by order of the Assembly obtained a firm definition of what Pamunkey Neck land belonged to them, and by that time at least a dozen Englishmen, including Colonel John West, one time governor of Virginia and a brother of Lord De La Warr (Delaware), Colonel William Claiborne, Captain Joseph Croshaw, Rev. Phillip Mallory, and others had gobbled up 15,000 surveyed acres (more than twice that on resurvey in later years) in Lower Pamunkey Neck. When the House of Burgesses ordered the Chickahominy land be laid off and patented to the Nation in 1660, the Indian tract was bounded on the east by the English, on the south by Pamunkey Nation land (south of the ridge dividing waters of Pamunkey and Mattaponi rivers), on the north by the Mattaponi River, and unbounded on the West. Technically, after 1660 no person was to patent land in the Chickahominy portion of Pamunkey Neck without first buying it from the Indian Nation. (14)
In 1660 Sir William Berkeley became Governor of Virginia Colony. That same year, Roger Mallory received land grants and patented 2,514 acres in Virginia.
29 May 1660, Charles II arrived in London and assumed the throne at the beginning of the English Restoration. It took some months for the news to reach the many fugitive loyalists in Virginia. When Governor Berkeley issued a proclamation 20 September 1660, music, drinking and firing of guns was the order of the day in Jamestown. Roger Mallory's uncle, Rev. Philip Mallory officiated as minister at the celebation of the restoration in York County, Virginia. The York County Virginia levy for 1660 included record of his payment: "To Mr Philip Malory ........00500". (15)
On 24 July 1660 a certificate (or patent) was granted by York County, Virginia Court to "Mr Roger Malory, for the use of Mr. Philip Malory," for 750 acres due on account of 15 headrights. (16) Named among the headrights:
Nathaniel Malory, Sen.
Nathaniel Malory, Jr.
The headright system allowed immigrants who paid their own way to the colony, as well as transportation for others, to claim “headrights,” fifty acres per "head" after residing in the colony for three years.
By 1661, Rev. Philip Mallory had preached fourteen years at Hampton in Elizabeth City County. (17) The Assembly of March 1660-61 enacted:
"Whereas, Mr. Philip Mallory
In 1661, Harquip, "the mangai of the Chicahomini, "petitioned for "all the lands from Mr. Malorys bounds to the head of the Mattaponi River and into the woods of the Pamunkes."The grant was made, with the provision that the land could not be sold unless with the approval of a majority of the"great men" of the Chicahominy Nation. However, one Hammond was allowed to buy 2,000 acres of the grant and a little later, Philip Mallory persuaded the leaders to sell him 743 acres. On April 4, 1661 Harquip, acknowledged before the Grand Assembly the sale of 743 acres of land from the cliffs to the little creek to Mr. Phillip Mallory. It has been surveyed twice, first by Lt. Col. Abrahall and secondly by James Cole and George Morris. Its transfer marked the beginning of a long campaign by the Mallorys to get all of the Chickahominy lands. (18)
The Chickahominies left the Pamunkeys and obtained lands near the headwaters of the Mattaponi River, near modern day Aylett, where there was immediate controversy over parcels that the Chickahominies had already sold. (19)
Before leaving for England, Rev. Philip Mallory execu ted a Power of Attorney to Matthew Kemp to offer for sale 1,000 acres on Virginia's upper peninsula. The Power of Attorney appears on York County page 211 to Mathew Kempe of the County of Lancaster , gent., to make delivery of a parcel of land. (20) It was dated dated 08 April 1661 signed by Philip Malory, witnessed by Roger Malory and recorded 08 May 1661:
|"...of a thousand acres sictuate in the aforesd County of Lancaster in Fleets Bay (formerly belonging unto Humphrey Tabb decd) as by pattent appearing unto Robert Bristow and Edmund Welsh jointly by stick & turfe according to the Laws & customes of England x x"|
Fleets Bay is on the eastern shore of Virginia's Upper Peninsula.
Rev.Philip Mallory's will dated July 23, 1661 left his Plantations in Virginia to his nephew, Roger Mallory. Rev. Philip Mallory died soon after arriving in London. He was succeeded as minister of Elizabeth City Parish by Rev. Justinian Aylmer. (21)
In March 1662, Acts of Assembly, Repeals any acts inhibiting free trade among inhabitants of the colony, except with Indians. No trade with the Indians is permitted except by commissions. Trade with Indians for beaver, otter and other furs must be commissioned by the Governor. The selling or buying of Indian lands is prohibited and any contracts are null and void. Silver-plated and copper plated badges are to be provided to the chiefs under the protection of the English. Indians, or at least one Indian within the group, coming into English bounds are to wear one of these badges. (22)
12 June 1665, Roger Mallory's half-sister, Elizabeth Mallory was buried at in the chancel of the church at Northenden, England. (23)
In 1667, Roger Mallory's daugher Elizabeth Mallory became a widow when her first husband, Richard Croshaw died. On September 6, 1667, a severe hurricane struck Virginia followed by twelve days of rain. It was estimated that approximately 10,000 houses were destroyed. Corn and tobacco crops were beat into the ground over a wide area and livestock drowned. (24)
By 1670, the Virginia Colony's English population was approximately 40,000. The combined Powhatan nation had diminished to 3,000 or less.
08 Sep 1671 Roger Mallory's father, Rev. Thomas Mallory died. His will proved 21 November 1671 included the following, "...to my son Roger Mallory in Virginia ye sum of five pounds...."
Between 1672-1674, Roger Mallory's brother, Thomas Mallory was sheriff in Charles City County, Virginia Colony.
Later life on Pamunkey Neck
As early as 1674, settlers on the frontier sought expulsion or eradication of native americans. Roger Mallory owned vast tracts of fertile land and became one of the wealthiest men in the Colony.(25)
Kiskiack (or Chisiack or Chiskiack) was a Powhatan Confederacy village on the Virginia Peninsula. Later English colonists adopted the name for their own village in that area. The site is now occupied by the US Naval Weapons Station Yorktown in York County, Virginia.
Roger Mallory's daughter, Elizabeth Mallory Croshaw married her second husband, Martin Palmer in 1675. (26)
As conflicts between natives and settlers escalated, the Royal Governor, Sir William Berkeley was perceived as slow to respond. In June, 1676, Acts of Assembly declared war on hostile Indians. Nathaniel Bacon, was named commander of forces to fight Indians. He began attacking Indian communities and seizing property from both Indians and pro-government Englishmen alike. Roger Mallory lost his patent to the 2,314 acres in King William County, Virgina including Sandy Point during Bacon's Rebellion. In August, 1676, he attacked the Pamunkies who fled and dispersed rather than fighting. On September 19, 1676, a large diverse group of Colonists burned the Statehouse in Jamestown. Berkeley's forces put down the uprising, but he was recalled to England and Thomas Culpeper became Colonial Governor. The Treaty of Middle Plantation between the Native Americans and Colonists was signed 29 May 1677. The Pamunkey Queen Cockacoeske was first to sign the Treaty of Middle Plantation which repealed the 1646 Articles of Peace and made her leader over Indian nations, including the Rappahannock and the Chickahominy. The Statehouse was rebuilt on the old foundations. It burned again later, but its foundations are still visible today in the archaelogical excavations in Jamestown.
In 1678, 1,200 Irish families sailed from Barbados to Virginia and the Carolinas.
06 June 1680, The Parish of St. John's was formed from Stratton Major Parish by an Act of the General Assembly in response to a petition from the inhabitants of Pamunkey Neck. In 1680, Roger Mallory was listed as a Justice in New Kent County, Virginia. (27)
Before 16 August 1680, Roger Mallory's son, William Mallory married Anne Wythe. On that date, Elizabeth City County, Virginia records show Captain Roger Mallory received Power of Attorney from his son William Mallory's wife, Ann authorizing him to release her dower (expectant) in certain lands in New Kent County. (28)
By 1681, the Virginia colony's population was approximately 80,000.
In 1683, Senecas attacked Mattaponi and Chickahominy settlements in Virginia. The Mattaponi and Chickahominy took refuge with the Pamunkey, but relations between the groups were strained and the Chickahominies went elsewhere.
06 February 1685 Charles II died and his brother became James II, King of England. Also that year, Capt. Roger Mallory's daughter, Jane Mallory married John Quarles in New Kent, later King and Queen, now King William County, Virginia left. (29)
In 1685, the London Merchant Thomas Arnall sent his apprentice, William Bates to Virginia in Arnall’s ship to purchase property for him. Property sat at the Pamunkey Neck in New Kent County, Virginia and was purchased from Capt. Roger Mallory. When Bates departed Virginia to return to England in 1689, he leased the said land to James Taylor. Thomas Arnall was business partners with Thomas Starke. (30)
About 1686,the Pamunkey Queen Cockacoeske died and was suceeded by Queen Betty . Under Betty and her successor, lands within the original Pamunkey reservation was sold to the English. Two relatively small Pamunkey and Mattaponi reservations remain in King William County, Virginia.
20 April 1687 Land Patent:
William Mallory, 3,740 acres in Pamunkey Neck, New Kent County, as
surveyed by Colonel William Claiborne, Decd., for Captain Roger Mallory.
Beginning at Acquinton Main Swamp run, to Nathaniel Barker’s plantation,
by the Ferry path, by Mr. Woodward’s path, crossing Nicatewance|
Swamp, by George Slaughter’s plantation, in sight of Thomas Peaswhite’s plantation, to the corner of John Talbot and Samuel Ousteen [Austin], nigh to the Ridge path, to Mr. Randall, to where Henry Maize lives... For transportation of 75 persons,
including Jane Downes, Richard Downes. (Virginia Patents 7:572)" (31)
Colonial Governor Francis Howard left Virginia 20 October 1688 to govern from England. In 1688, Roger Mallory was referred to as "Captain Roger Mallory" suggesting he was a Captain in the Militia. 30 April 1688, Captain Roger Mallory received by patent a grant of 2,514 acres of land situated in the Parish of St. John in New Kent County on the South side of the Mattaponi River. This was due by and for the transportation of 51 persons. This was also the same land for which he had lost the patent during Bacon's Rebellion. (28)
11 Jan 1689, Parliament declared King James II deposed. William III and Mary II were proclaimed co-rulers of England, Scotland and Ireland. That year, the Chickahominies and various other tribes asked Lord Effingham for protection from Indian raids. (29)
About 1690, the original chapel was built at Acquinton, northwest of Sandy Point. Roger Mallory was still a Justice in New Kent County, Virginia. (28)
In 1690, the Governor and Council nullified several purchases made from the Chickahominy Indians. All leases, sales, and other exchanges were declared void by the Governor and Council, and all intruders were ordered to withdraw and burn the buildings that had been constructed. (32)
29 September 1690 and 09 October 1690, Gent. Captain Roger Malory was named among justices in New Kent County Court held at Mr Tunstall's. (33)
In 1691, King and Queen County was formed from New Kent County, Virginia. That year, the House of Burgesses rejected a petition from inhabitants of King & Queen County requesting the legalization of titles and possession of lands that they acquired from the Indians in the Pamunkey Neck section of King and Queen County that became King William County.
Roger Mallory bought land from John Arkley (sic) later sold to John Drummond in what is now King William County, Virginia. (34)
In 1692, Old Rappahanock County was divided into Essex and Richmond Counties.
In 1693, Roger Mallory served as a Justice in King and Queen County. Virginia Colony. That year, a Royal Charter established The College of William and Mary.
Roger Mallory's son, William Mallory married before 02 May 1693 in Elizabeth City County, Virginia, Ann Wythe born about 1668, daughter of Thomas Wythe and Ann Smith.
02 May 1693, the records of Elizabeth City County, Virginia, show that Ann Mallory, wife of William Mallory appointed her father in-law, Captain Roger Mallory of King and Queen her Power of Attorney to relinquish her dower to two parcels of land on the Pamunkey Neck. (16)
In 1693, Captain Roger Mallory patented 300 acres of land escheated by George Nelson. At that time, Captain Roger Mallory was a resident and Justice of King and Queen County, Virginia. (35)
In 1694, the Chicahominy complained that the land the Mallorys sold them in King and Queen County was "so poor that itt will no longer bring them corn to eat..They therefor pray for a Tract of Land called Quaynohomock that lye's over against them in Pamunkey Neck, not improved and formerly theirs..." The grant was approved, but later in the following year, it was revealed that Roger Mallory had received 6,160 acres in exchange for the 2,000 acres of his land given for the new reservation. (36)
28 December 1694, Queen Mary died of smallpox.
01 May 1695, Roger Mallory was a member of the Vestry of St. John's Parish in King and Queen County, Virginia that heard a complaint against Rev. Mr. Monro. (sic) (37)
08 August 1695, construction of the Wren Building began at The College of William and Mary.
On September 20, 1695, the Chickahominies deeded over 6,160 acres to Roger Mallory. Captain Roger Mallory died some time after 22 December 1695, the date that the 6,160 acres was deeded to him by Chickamony Indians on Pamunkey Neck (38).
In the King and Queen County Virginia Book 9, p.131 was written under the hand of Math. Page, Deputy Escheator and a Jury sworn before him 8 June 1686:
"To all etc whereas a Certain tract of Land lying in King and Queen County and containing 300 acres late in the possession of George Nelson ded'ed is found to escheat to his sacred maj'y" ..."for which said land Mary Nelson wido (sic) of the said County hath made her composition according to the said letters patents and by her will proved and Recorded in King and Queen County Court the 12th March 1696/7 bequeathed the same to Roger Malory (sic) of the said County Gent".
The above land was bequeathed to Roger Mallory on 26 May 1696. (39)
In 1697, John Buckner petitioned for 6,160 acres on Pamunkey Neck "having purchased right from Roger, Charles, and Thomas Mallory, sons of the decedent" (38).
In 1699, "The General Assembly having taken into consideration settlement of the land on Pamunkey Neck gave preference to the above three sons of Captain Roger Mallory bounded as by deed and computed at 2,000 acres because the said Mallory had been given other lands in exchange." (40) That year, a Quaker missionary reported Chickahominy were living on the north side of the Mattaponi River at its headwaters, housed in 11 communal wigwams with bark coverings. The General Assembly rejected Chickahominy Mangui Drammacho's petition to acknowledge the Pamunkey Neck as belonging to the Chickahominies under the Treaty of Middle Plantation's Articles of Peace. They went back to live with the Pamunkies. (29)
04 September 1701 House of Burgesses records include the following:
Whereas Mr Jno Buckner Doth petition that a Patent be Ifued to him for Six thoufand one hundd & Sixty Acres of land lying in Pamunkey neck contained w'hin the bounds od a Deed made by the Chickahominy Indians to Roger Mallory deceafed Dated the 20th of Septr 1695 he having purchafed the right wch Roger Mallory Tho: Mallory and Cha: Mallory Sons of the Said Roger Mallory Decedhave in the Same and whereas Mr Chicheley Corbin Thacker layes claime to part of the Said Land--
Resolved That itt is the opinion of this houfe that the Said Six thoufand one hundd and Sixty Acres of Land be Devided into two Equall parts by a line to be run acrofs the Said Land from the Line of the Lands belonging to Major Lewis Burwell and Mr Richard Whitehead that Mr Buckner have his Choice of one of the Said parts and that Mr Thacker have the other (41)
By 1718, Captain Roger Mallory's sons Roger Mallory, Thomas Mallory and Charles Mallory had sold off their late father's estate between the two Herring Creeks plus a small tract of land he'd deeded to the Chickahomony Tribe. This caused the Chickahomony Indians make a complaint to Spottswood against Roger Mallory, Jr., Thomas Mallory and John Quarles of King William for trying to disposess them from their land (11) .
Decendancy and DNA
John Mallory born about 1665 married Mary "unknown". About 1700, he moved to England at the invitation of his uncle, John Mallory of London who had no heirs. He died testate in 1752 in London, England. His will mentioned siblings and cousin, but no children.
William Mallory born 1666 and his wife, Ann settled in Elizabeth City County, Virginia where their eight (8) children were born. William Mallory died 15 February 1719 in Elizabeth City County, Virginia. In 2005, William Mallory's 7th great grandson donated FTDNA test kit #44196 for Ydna testing.
Roger Mallory born about 1667 married about Mary Holderby, born about 1680. Their eight (8) children were born in Virginia. Roger Mallory died in Virginia about 1757. In 2007, two (2) 7th great grandsons donated FTDNA test kits #78348 and #83194 for Ydna testing.
Charles Mallory, born 1669 married 1710 King William County, Virginia Barbara Broche and died shortly thereafter. They had no known children.
Jane Mallory born about 1673 and John Quarles had six (6) children in Virginia between 1693 and 1705. Jane Mallory Quarles died in 1739.
Thomas Mallory married about 1700 in King William County, Virginia, Elizabeth Higgason born 1674. Thomas Mallory and Elizabeth had seven (7) children, all born in King and Queen County, Virginia. Since 2005, his direct male descedants donated FTDNA test kits #37375, #39194, #78349, #88426, #92123, and #97327 for Ydna testing.
The above test results may be compared on the Study's Y-DNA Colorized Chart .
Five (5) known generations are charted in part in an Outline Descendant Report for Captain Roger Mallory .
Thomas Mallory , son of Captain Roger Mallory
(1) The Virginia Magazine of History and Biography, Volume 14 By Virginia Historical Society p.103
(2) The Virginia Magazine of History and Biography, Volume 14 No.2 Oct. 1906 By Virginia Historical Society p.215
(3) Cheshire Sheaf, Volume 1 By Francis Sanders, William Fergusson Irvine, J. Brownbill
(4) Dictionary of national biography, Volume 35 edited by Sir Leslie Stephen, Sir Sidney Lee p. 431
(5) Research of Sheila V. Mallory Smith
(8) The Eure Family Before America p. 107, 1985 by Dick Eure, printed by Pierce Printers, Ahoskie, North Carolina.
(13) The William and Mary quarterly, Volume 1 by Earl Gregg Swem, Institute of Early American History p. 91
(15) The William and Mary quarterly, Volume 1 b y Earl Gregg Swem, Institute of Early American History p. 196
(16) The William and Mary quarterly, Volume 1 b y Earl Gregg Swem, Institute of Early American History p. 197
(19) Pocahontas's People: The Powhatan Indians of Virginia Through Four Centuries By Helen C. Rountree p. 115
(20) Virginia colonial extracts by Beverly Fleet p. 135
(21) The cradle of the republic: Jamestown and James river p.91by Lyon Gardiner Tyler
(23) Cheshire Sheaf, Volume 1 By Francis Sanders, William Fergusson Irvine, J. Brownbill p. 95
(27) The Virginia Magazine of History and Biography, Volume 8 By Virginia Historical Society p. 385
(28) Virginia Gleanings in England by Lothrop Withington p. 104
(33) The Virginia magazine of history and biography, Volume 6 by Virginia Historical Society p. 389-390
(34) Virginia colonial abstracts b y Beverley Fleet p. 291
(35) Virginia Historical Genealogies by John Bennett Boddie p. 115
(37) Calendar of Virginia State papers and other manuscripts by Henry W. Flournoy p. 49
(38) Virginia Historical Genealogies by John Bennett Boddie p. 115
(39) Virginia colonial extracts by Beverly Fleet p. 408
(40) H.B. 1695-1702, pp. 286-317
(41) Journals of the House of Burgesses of Virginia By Virginia. General Assembly. House of Burgesses, Virginia State Library p. 286
to help improve this page by reporting factual errors
and suggesting relevant information or links.
Original portions of the above information is provided by The Mallory Surname DNA Study for free non-profit use -- nothing herein may be copied, reproduced, published or redistributed for commercial purposes without written permission.
Original Images © 2011 The Mallory Surname DNA Study